Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Ps 38 3 Because of your wrath there is no health in my body;
my bones have no soundness because of my sin.
4 My guilt has overwhelmed me
like a burden too heavy to bear.
5 My wounds fester and are loathsome
because of my sinful folly.
6 I am bowed down and brought very low;
all day long I go about mourning.
7 My back is filled with searing pain;
there is no health in my body.
8 I am feeble and utterly crushed;
I groan in anguish of heart.
9 All my longings lie open before you, O Lord;
my sighing is not hidden from you..... 16 For I said, "Do not let them gloat or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips."
Sin has been taken care in the death and resurrection of Christ. When we were identified with Christ we died to sin and we were raised in righteousness. The death is a curse upon our opposition that is corrupted. The Psalmist teaches that dying to sin is the same as the old will being destroyed and replaced by the Gods will. This Psalm teaches the attitude of the new man. 9 All my longings lie open before you, O Lord;my sighing is not hidden from you" The Psalmist is saying that Gods desires are united with his wish to overcome his physical ailment that enforces and exasperates the weight of his sin. But the opposition to the Psalmist is expressed in the curse.
Let me give the context of this struggle. We are taught that when we are saved we are implanted with the word of God. This implantation is the entire context of His kingdom speech.You will find when the Psalmist proclaims his blamelessness it is always in the context of him being delivered from the old kingdom of violence. So David proclaims his new will as being blameless in his lack of desire to conceive and perpetuate other gods. Now listen to me...God reverse the logic of the renewal process. He kills everything that opposes us in the death of Christ. So we proclaim our innocence by the covenant of redemption and not our actual personal righteousness.
Our opposition is to strong for us in our natural struggle. Satan wants to make the struggle between our righteousness. Satan wants to overcome Gods actions of destroying our old will and give us the disease of the sorrow of the curse. No matter how we are implicated in a wrong the opposition is always aimed to destroy Christ through us. So our self hatred is embraced in the impersonal act of God destroying our old will. We push the desire to change this gift of the new will ...we push it away in the absolute pronouncements of God in blessing and cursing. The display of self hatred is being consumed in Gods anger. This is what the Psalmist means by 9 All my longings lie open before you, O Lord;
my sighing is not hidden from you..... 16 For I said, "Do not let them gloat or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips."
But the Psalmist teaches us the relationship we have with our sin and the blessing that we enjoy in our renewal. 103 2 Praise the LORD , O my soul,and forget not all his benefits-
3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
4 who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
5 who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."
Here the Psalmist is teaching that all of our needs are met by our Father who is also the judge who declares us innocent. First we needed forgiveness, then we need to be healed of our physical and emotional diseases. He is simply saying that whatever we need is given in abundance by our loving Father.
God causes us to be successful by opposing those who want to abuse us. 6 The LORD works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed". Gods righteousness is His kingdom success on this earth. Gods justice is to oppose those who curse us and bless us with all things. God proved that He met all the needs of His people when He led them by Moses. 7 He made known his ways to Moses,
his deeds to the people of Israel:8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,slow to anger, abounding in love". He delivered His elect according to His covenant of grace. God established His covenant people by enacting the law against the wicked. At the same time our Father gives us all things so that we can be confident in His kingdom advancement and we are able to oppose the enemy. God who is the judge and our Father prevents and allows our success by cursing sinners every day. 9 He will not always accuse,nor will he harbor his anger forever"; The Psalmist is teaching that our troubles that come as a result of the wicked and evil in this world are seen by God as anger to the wicked that we experience. The Psalmist enforces our innocence in the promise of 10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve
or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us. The Psalmist is saying that our troubles that we complain about are dwarfed by Gods declaration of righteousness. In other words when we are saved God does not keep a record of our sin nor does he bring sin to bear upon us in an accusation , but he is always renewing us by erasing our past sins and giving us present success by allowing and preventing us from sin.

No comments: